Holi, the festival of colours has arrived to make our life colourful with happiness. Though we enjoy it to the fullest, if not taken proper care, its aftermath can be harmful. I have seen people suffering from skin rashes, eye allergies and discoloration of hair soon after Holi. So it’s better to take proper care before and enjoy the festival without any torment. Keep in mind healthy Holi tips before you go out for venture.
Enjoy Holi by following these healthy tips-
1) Holika – the bonfire, keep away yourself and your kids at a safe distance to avoid any accidents.
2) Avoid playing if allergic to colors or have any respiratory problems.
3) It’s better to play with dry Holi than wet as wet colors get absorbed quickly and difficult to remove. Save water. Also try to use organic colors or make colors at home.
4) Apply coconut oil or moisturizing lotion to your skin 1 hour prior before you start playing, this would act as a skin barrier which will reduce absorption of colours into your skin and prevent dryness. Also apply petroleum jelly on the nails to protect them from strong colours.
5) Dress in old cotton clothes which cover most of your body parts and use scarf or shower cap to cover your hair
6) Avoid wearing contact lenses and wear sunglasses to prevent any eye infections or damage. Rinse your eyes with cold water immediately if colour enters.
7) Apply sunscreen on all exposed parts to protect from sun damage and also apply lip balm.
8) Apply oil on hair and braid it so that colors don’t affect it and it will prevent hair damage.
9) Wear vigorous footwear to avoid slipping, stamping or falling off.
10) Be hydrated. Drink frequently as our body requires it to flush out the toxins.
11) Avoid over eating and intoxicated beverages (bhaang) as it can cause side effects.
12) Keep a first aid kit in case of need, it’s recommended to have one kit in each home always.
13) Avoid taking any skin, hair and body treatment for a week post festival as it can cause unpleasant side effects.
14) Use lukewarm water and mild soap to cleanse the skin gently after you are done with playing colors.
15) Lastly take care of surroundings, animals and childrens around you.
If you would like to share more tips, kindly suggest them on comments below.
Wishing all my readers a very safe, happy and healthy Holi!
*Disclaimer – The content in this post is purely meant for educational purpose only and not meant to be a replacement for a doctor consultation, nor is it a medical recommendation or prescription of treatment.
*Image courtesy- Pinterest